Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Mar 12 23:49:38 UTC 2010

On 03/12/2010 11:25 AM, Peter Jones wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 07:18 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Once 4.n+1.0 is out, 4.n.x is no longer updated, there are no further bugfix
>> releases, any bugs in it will stay unfixed. And there are also nice new
>> features in the new version.
>
> So this all boils down to you, the package maintainer, being unwilling or
> unable to actually fix bugs? Is that what you're saying?

Umm, is this really the standard we expect to hold package maintainers
to?  I expect them to be able to communicate the bug to upstream and if
upstream fixes it provide that fix if it is not too disruptive.  Now I
have fixed bugs in my packages, and that is a nice thing for a
maintainer to be able to do, but I'm not sure we are ready to make that
a requirement.

At least, that is how I interpret the phrase "actually fix bugs".

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com