Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sat Mar 13 00:16:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 01:09 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Then in my opinion those users, and those maintainers who wish to cater
> > to those users, can go start their own project.
>
> Even if those users are 70+% of the current Fedora users?

Prove it. And prove your point that users are desperate for intrusive
rolling updates and won't just use Rawhide instead if they want to get
the very latest and greatest unbaked stuff.

And while you're at it, why not tell us why people who want to update
constantly aren't just running Gentoo or some other compile from source
distribution?

Six months is a blink of an eye compared with many things in life. Many
Fedora users don't even update to every release - some only once a year
or perhaps even less. Rawhide is rolling forward at ever increasing
rates, and it's generally pretty good, but not everyone wants to deal
with the occasional issues that come from not having a tested *release*
(as Simo noted). What's the point in a tested, QA'd release if you can
unilaterally decide to push an update that invalidates all the testing?

Jon.