Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Mar 13 05:50:00 UTC 2010

Matthew Miller wrote:
> What's the problem, exactly, here? I've been running Rawhide on my desktop
> at home and work for a couple of years now with no serious complaints.

Oh no, not again! This has already been explained several times!

== begin paste ==
Rawhide is not the answer. It comes with disruptive changes (and there's no
real way to avoid this problem, see e.g. my replies to Doug Ledford's "To
semi-rolling or not to semi-rolling, that is the question..." thread for
details, but it has also been brought up in other threads), prereleases of
software which is only expected to be stable at release time, no testing
repository (so all the breakage gets dumped directly on the Rawhide user)
etc.

The upcoming release branch is also not the answer. It is not available at
all half of the time, and it is feature-frozen, so it doesn't actually get
the expected feature upgrades (and with a policy like the one you appear to
defend, it won't get them at all, not even after the release).
== end paste ==

I find it interesting that you haven't seen any problems with Rawhide. This
does not quite match the experience of most people.

        Kevin Kofler