Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Mar 13 10:00:55 UTC 2010

On 03/13/2010 09:54 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 07:05 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> As usual, a pragmatical solution/compromise would be inbetween.
>
> This is the fallacy of the middle way. it's simply not always true.
I disagree: fanatical radicalism is naive and will always will always
lead to failure.

> Just a random example; point is, a compromise is never
> automatically the right solution;
Right, a compromise is a compromise ... it will not taste everybody and
will always be somewhat suboptimal wrt. some aspects ... such is life.

With regard to packaging:
* Backporting might be simple in some cases, but it might not be
possible or uneffective in others.
* For some cases, "preventive pushing packages" is a suitable strategy
to prevent security risks and bugs, in others this is not applicable.
* In some cases deliberately breaking SONAMEs is a tolerable policy, in
others it is not.
* Some distributions are suitable for some use-cases, but are not in others.

The key is to balance the trade-offs in individual cases.

Ralf