Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Sat Mar 13 10:52:03 UTC 2010

pe, 2010-03-12 kello 15:20 -0800, Jesse Keating kirjoitti:
> Keeping that cutting-edge release practice, but adding to that stability
> once released would indeed be a very unique and desirable niche for
> Fedora to fill.

I've avoided participating in these threads, since I don't really want
to feed a flame war, but now I'll mention that this is something I'd
like Fedora to be.

I mostly use and contribute to Fedora because it's an RPM/Red Hat style
distribution with a strong emphasis on community contributors, free
software and upstream.

As Fedora is the distribution I'm most familiar with, I've also
installed it on some of my family members' systems but lately I've been
considering switching those to Ubuntu once the new LTS release comes
out. I've taught these people how to update their systems, but I'm
always a bit worried that the adventurous updates are going to break
something they need to do their daily computing.

I have no problem with the new releases being leading edge, I actually
quite like that. I can always put the new release onto a USB stick and
test that the important stuff is working on a particular system before
upgrading, especially since I upgrade other people's systems about once
a year, when the old release becomes EOL. But I can't do this sort of
testing for the updates being pushed to the stable releases, so I'd like
to be able to trust those not to break things, at least to some extent.

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio