Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Mar 14 00:58:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 03:20:02AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
> > Right after you _prove_ that this IS the case.  How quick would you be
> > to reject that poll as unscientific and meaningless if it didn't go your
> > way?  I thought it was a bad idea and didn't even take a look.  How
> > widespread was the poll among regular users (not developers)?
>
> There is no need to prove it: The mere RISK of losing 70-80% of our users
> (which is exactly what is going to happen if the poll happens to be
> representative, but those changes get implemented anyway) is a risk not to
> be taken lightly.

Isn't there a mere RISK to lose 70-80% of our users if we do _not_ implement
the changes as well? Especially given the chance that the poll did not
represent a significant user sample?

Without having accurate numbers, it's hard to tell. As Adam pointed out
elsewhere, the numbers only show that these users _exist_, they cannot
possibly specify a quantity in terms of overall users.

That aside, the flow of users isn't unidirectional. Regardless what policy
is implemented, Fedora will lose some users. The question how many users may
be _gained_ by implementing a certain policy should also be asked.
And that's a question that is independent of what policy ends up being
chosen.

Cheers,
  Peter