Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 09:52:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:

>> the same just in RPM? Some "slow-it-down-people" do really think that
>> a half baken X-server 1.7beta will make users of other distros go away
>> because they use just 1.6, or our release kernel is 2.6.31.3 and
>> others have 2.6.31.1 trough release-time?
>
> I don't care whether some new hardware gets enabled through an update. I
> would rather that happen in rawhide and the users who can't use the
> hardware in the stable release have to wait an average of 3 months in
> the worst case that there isn't some level of support available now. Few
> other Operating Systems move at that kind of pace anyway. I do care that
> regressions in the kernel, X, or some other subsystem might break things
> that users who are supported are relying on, just to enable other stuff.
> To me, the fear of regressions outweighs any possible other benefit.

Sorry but I strongly disagree here, waiting three months to be able to
use hardware is unacceptable.
Waiting for a shiny new feature is perfectly fine, but being able to
use the hardware is something completely different.

Other operating systems benefit from hardware vendors shipping drivers
with the hardware, and still even MS ships updated hardware support as
updates.