Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 17:50:01 UTC 2010

On 03/14/2010 11:10 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>  If Fedora is only usable for contributors and
>> contributors only,
>>
> It's called focus (where have I heard that?).  Some people(1) want
> *contributors* to be focus is all.

How many contributors are interested in only serving themselves? Is that
what we want to encourage?

You cut off the portion where I already explained why such a policy is
inherently self defeating at large.   If the only way to use our
contributions in a good form is to use another distribution, then
contributors will go to *that* distribution instead.   How it would have
to work instead, is for us to create a system that has a large number of
users, where some of them (admittedly a very small percentage) will take
the next step to become contributors.  By losing users, you lose the
opportunity for that to even happen or atleast make it significantly
less likely.

Rahul