Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 19:52:12 UTC 2010

On 03/15/2010 12:19 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>> You cut off the portion where I already explained why such a policy is
>> inherently self defeating at large.
>>
> OK, fair enough, you made that case sure.  It's just that I don't agree with
> that generalization much (or generalizations in general, heh).

Imagine for a moment that you want to encourage a environment that
contributors only care about themselves. What if they maintain a package
where a bug gets reported and they say,  "meh, I don't care about that
bug as I don't use that feature.  Let me just close it".  Would you
agree with that approach?  Face it, we will have to strive to be less
selfish than that and care about the end user experience and put that
before our own limited interests.  I know you do.

Every contributor is also a user of Fedora.  You can take care of KDE
packages but you are user of a entire ecosystem of software around you
(everything from kernel. glibc and upwards) and you would want others to
take care of that well enough for you to be able to develop and build
KDE or simply just use Fedora.  Development in Fedora is a means to
enable you and others to do something else and it's not a end onto
itself.  We all want to do different things, be it development of
upstream software or reading emails, it is a tool to help us accomplish
all that.  If we forget that, we stand the risk of losing perspective
and limit ourselves to a very very small niche.

Rahul