Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Mar 15 03:36:03 UTC 2010

On 03/15/2010 01:40 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:07:53 +0100
> Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at>  wrote:
>
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> Can we drop the absolutes which are clearly not true? Some users
>>> clearly are not.
>>
>> Yet they haven't left over it. So why would that suddenly change?
>
> Because the situation worsened dramatically recently.

Did it?

Your observation doesn't match with mine:
* There have always been prematurely shipped, immature and dysfunctional
packages causing user-side malfunctions.
* The kernel has always not worked somewhere.
* KDE and perl packaging policies have not changed.
* There have always been broken package deps in updates.
* Fedora doesn't ship updated DVDs/CDs.

What has changed is
* the people in FPB and FESCO
* the number of packages in Fedora.
* the amount of bureaucracy.
* the packages being affected by "instability".

Where I have to agree with you
* I am perceiving an increasing unwillingness of maintainers to fix
bugs/defects/malfunctions of released packages.
* I am perceiving an increasingly low quality package submissions and of
low quality package reviews.

Ralf