Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:36:09 UTC 2010

On 03/15/2010 09:43 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> How many contributors are interested in only serving themselves? Is that
>> what we want to encourage?
>>
> I'm going to hazard a guess and say "all of them". It's basic
> psychology; people don't do things that have no (perceived) benefit to
> them. At most ephemeral, that benefit is "karma".

Well, people can serve themselves but they need to care about more than
*only* that.
> So you prefer to throw our current contributors under the bus in the
> *hope* that by increasing users in general you see an increase in
> contributors?

Nope. I haven't said anything along those lines.

> Okay. Points for long-term thinking. Not so much for watering down
> Fedora into another Ubuntu.

Fedora is inherently different because of several major reasons ( free
software focus, upstream contributions etc) so I don't feel any
insecurity about all this.

> Fedora currently is progressive and aggressive. Maybe moving to
> progressive and conservative will work, but the question I have is how
> effectively can you be progressive without also being aggressive

Fedora is currently disjoint and acts differently based on which set of
packages you are talking about ( KDE vs GNOME,  Firefox et all).
Progressive and aggressive is all fine as part of development branches
as far as I am concerned.  Several other distributions take care of this
disjoint nature by splitting up the repository and having two different
update streams.  With a smaller amount of additional maintenance burden,
we can do this as well.

Rahul