Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 21:37:13 UTC 2010

Hitting an odd error during a build that I've never seen before today,
looks like something to do with recent linker changes.

I maintain a side repo with an mplayer build with VA-API support, so I
rebuild that quite often. If I try and build it on F13 currently, I get
this when linking:

/usr/bin/ld: libvo/vo_vaapi.o: undefined reference to symbol 'vaGetConfigAttributes'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'vaGetConfigAttributes' is defined in DSO /usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib64/libva-0.31.0.5.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

Left out the cc command as it's *huge*, but it does include -lva .
Building the same .src.rpm for F12, using mock, works fine. The libva
used in both cases is the same code, built from the same .src.rpm .

What's different in F13 that causes this to fail? How do I fix it?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey