Linker weirdness: "could not read symbols: Invalid operation"

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 00:42:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 16:22 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Also, the "undefined reference to symbol" error is typical for the 'you
> > left it out of the linker line' situation, but "could not read symbols:
> > Invalid operation" is not, I've never seen that error before.
>
> This and several other odd-looking things are "normal" cascade errors from
> an undefined symbol in various circumstances.  If there are other error
> messages first, don't worry about the incomprehensible ones until you've
> resolved the earlier ones.

I understand that principle, however, I've hit this situation literally
dozens and dozens of times (I used to package for Mandriva, which made a
very similar linker migration several releases ago) and have seen
'undefined reference to symbol' messages always, but have never seen the
'could not read symbols' error before. Which is why I felt it was
unusual.

> > Um. As I said in my email, it's already *in* the linker line. That's why
> > I say it's weird.
>
> Show the linking command line in question.  (As with all requests for help,
> showing the complete command line and all error messages in the very first
> report is always the best policy.)

Knock yourself out:

http://fpaste.org/FnFc/

as I replied to John, though, oddly enough when I re-ran the command
manually, it succeeded. Trying to see if it builds through mock now.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey