saa716x module and unknown symbols

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Mar 18 02:18:06 UTC 2010

I'm trying to test a v4l driver for an AverMedia Express Card.

when I try and load the module dmesg reports:

saa716x_core: Unknown symbol spi_alloc_master
saa716x_core: Unknown symbol spi_unregister_master
saa716x_core: Unknown symbol spi_register_master

There seems to be hints that this should be in:

/usr/include/linux/spi/spi.h

but I can only find

/usr/include/linux/spi/spidev.h

Also, I see references to this in

/usr/src/kernels/2.6.31.12-174.2.22.fc12.x86_64/include/linux/spi/spi.h

which is part of kernel-devel.

How do I get these symbols on my system?

R.

PS. I hope this is the right place to ask, but if it isn't, then I'll
ask elsewhere.  I'm asking here, because it appears that many distros
supply the symbols by default but fedora (which I use) doesn't.