saa716x module and unknown symbols

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Mar 18 06:10:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 12:32 +0800, Chen Lei wrote:

> 在2010-03-18 10:18:06,"Rodd Clarkson" <rodd at clarkson.id.au> 写道:
> >I'm trying to test a v4l driver for an AverMedia Express Card.
> >
> >when I try and load the module dmesg reports:
> >
> >saa716x_core: Unknown symbol spi_alloc_master
> >saa716x_core: Unknown symbol spi_unregister_master
> >saa716x_core: Unknown symbol spi_register_master
> >
> >There seems to be hints that this should be in:
> >
> >/usr/include/linux/spi/spi.h
> >
> >but I can only find
> >
> >/usr/include/linux/spi/spidev.h
> >
> >Also, I see references to this in
> >
> >/usr/src/kernels/2.6.31.12-174.2.22.fc12.x86_64/include/linux/spi/spi.h
> >
> >which is part of kernel-devel.
> >
> >How do I get these symbols on my system?

> You should compile saa716x module manually.
> See http://saa716x.sourceforge.net/

I've bumped into the site you mention in my searching, but there's isn't
really anything there.  There's no files to download, not documentation
and no discussion.

I've compile the saa716x modules manually from:
http://jusst.de/hg/saa716x/summary

Having built these modules, I'm now getting the message about in dmesg
when I try to modprobe the modules.  It appears that the Fedora kernel
isn't supplying the symbols above, but I don't know why not, or how to
add them to the mix.

Rodd