Hard drive spec change

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Mar 18 16:12:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 03:57:14PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:
> > Hadn't seen this discussed yet (not really a big hardware geek), and
> > just saw an article about this today.  Are we (linux as a whole) ready
> > for this or getting ready, or already using it?  And If we bought a new
> > hd, via sata in my case within past year or newer computer in past year,
> > are we using the new 4kb sectors now or just able to handle it?
> >
> > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361156,00.asp
>
> There has been a lot of work upstream on 4k sector support, and in general
> yes, we are ready.

Is F12 ready or will only F13 be? E.g. if I want to have a RAID with LVM
and dmcrypt, will this all align properly?

I just bought a WD20EARS and tested on F12. fdisk has an option to set
the sector size to 4096 byte, but it will still use sector 63 by default
for a new partition. Shouldn't it then default to sector 16, which is
sector 64 with 512 byte sector size?

And pvcreate, mdadm and cryptsetup seem not to accept a sector size
parameter. pvcreate and cryptsetup at least accept an alignment
parameter, but this will leave it to me to make the math instead of
doing it automatically. :-( I am not sure how well mdadm will behave,
but it seems not to have any parameter to tweak the alignment or the
sector size.

Regards
Till