Potential F14 feature: Use GPT partition table by default for "wipe complete HD" installations

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Mar 19 13:28:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 01:04:29PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 21:55 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> > how about using GPT[0] partitions for F14 for all installations that wipe
> > the whole disk to install Fedora? It is also considered to be good by
> > Tejun Heo[1] and it seems to work nicely already on F12. I just
> > partitioned a new HD using gdisk and the kernel seems to recognise it
> > without any problems.
>
> Are there any good reasons to do this _other_ than so we can cope with
> larger disks?

Afaik it is also required in case one uses EFI instead of a BIOS. Doing
this soon would make Fedora ready once it is required. Other nice
features are checksums for the partition table and file system
independent uuids for the partitions and file system independent clear
text names for partitions. These can be used to easier identify
partitions that do not contain a file system, e.g. because they are
encrypted or they have been wiped. Then they could be easier identified
to be used again, e.g. in the installer.

> How about doing it only for disks which are too large to cope with the
> DOS-style partition tables?

For large disks it would be required anyhow. But it does not need to be
default, at least support for it in the installer would be nice.

Regards
Till