Akonadi's unix sockets location

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sat Mar 20 14:54:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, 20.03.10 10:37, Przemek Klosowski (przemek.klosowski at nist.gov) wrote:

> On 03/20/2010 07:48 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > Secondly, as mentioned a unix socket is useless in the fs after the
> > program that listened on it exited,
>
> You mean in the context of a 'shared secret'-named sockets, right?
> In general. a socket /tmp/socket can just sit there and be reused
> by whatever programs fancy to open it for reading and/or writing. Or
> have I misunderstood something in this discussion?

No. Unix sockets cannot be reused. If the application that created the
socket via calling bind() for the path closed the socket, the socket
node is useless in the file system. Another bind() on it will return
ADDRINUSE and a connect() on it will return ECONNREFUSED. Only after it
was deleted it may be created anew with bind() and then be used again.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net