Pkgdb update and infrastructure freeze

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 17:54:10 UTC 2010

PackageDB has been updated to 0.5.2 which fixes all but one of the major
bugs I know about.  Package owners should be able to orphan packages again,
comments, tagging, and rating is slowly being imported, bugzilla and koji
sync scripts seem to be working, etc.

If you are encountering bugs, feel free to let me know -- infrastructure is
going to be freezing for beta release early next week but I can push
important fixes via a hotfix.  Minor fixs can be queued and go out in the
short window between beta and final release freezes.

Things that are known:

* maxamillion's firefox search plugin currently doesn't work.  We're looking
  at changing pkgdb search parameters so that it can work again.
* some non-pkgdb code is broken by the update.  These should be ported to
  python-fedora or you can ask me for hints on updating the minimum
  necessary to get them working for now.
* UI for search is confusing.  (for example, entering a package name in the
  search box on the front page and hitting enter will do an application
  search which likely won't return any matches. Clicking the packages button
  should work.) We're trying to figure out a way to remedy that but if you
  have ideas feel free to give them to me.  This likely won't be fixed
  before F-13 releases.
* Currently only showing ix86 and noarch packages to download and install.
  This is a problem in the import script.  We'll likely hotpatch it when we
  figure out the fix for it.
* No way to add tags and comments on binary packages.  Not all packages are
  Applications (currently just the packages that have a .desktop file).  The
  pkgdb database knows about tags and comments on binary packages but
  there's no way to add these in the WebUI; only to packages that have
  Applications.  Adding UI for this is likely to be a post-F-13 update.

-Toshio