Pkgdb update and infrastructure freeze

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 19:39:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 02:08:02PM -0400, Luke Macken wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 01:54:10PM -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Things that are known:
> >
> > * maxamillion's firefox search plugin currently doesn't work.  We're looking
> >   at changing pkgdb search parameters so that it can work again.
> > * some non-pkgdb code is broken by the update.  These should be ported to
> >   python-fedora or you can ask me for hints on updating the minimum
> >   necessary to get them working for now.
> > * UI for search is confusing.  (for example, entering a package name in the
> >   search box on the front page and hitting enter will do an application
> >   search which likely won't return any matches. Clicking the packages button
> >   should work.) We're trying to figure out a way to remedy that but if you
> >   have ideas feel free to give them to me.  This likely won't be fixed
> >   before F-13 releases.
> > * Currently only showing ix86 and noarch packages to download and install.
> >   This is a problem in the import script.  We'll likely hotpatch it when we
> >   figure out the fix for it.
> > * No way to add tags and comments on binary packages.  Not all packages are
> >   Applications (currently just the packages that have a .desktop file).  The
> >   pkgdb database knows about tags and comments on binary packages but
> >   there's no way to add these in the WebUI; only to packages that have
> >   Applications.  Adding UI for this is likely to be a post-F-13 update.
>
>  * This pkgdb update completely broke Fedora Community's PkgdbConnector,
>    thus the majory of Fedora Community is now broken.

Note: this is the second bullet point above.

And yep, it was announced multiple times that the new pkgdb would change the
server-side URLs.  Looks like we have to get the guy who wrote the
PkgdbConnector to pay better attention to what's going on.  Especially
because we're going to be changing API even more in the next year or so --
This was largely a shifting around of API with the data returned still
available; just on a different URL.  For apps using python-fedora API to
make the calls we're able to hide these changes behind the client-side API.
In the next release we're going to be changing some of the data structures
in the database so we won't be able to shield you by putting in 100%
compatibility in the client side library.  We may also take the opportunity
to write new API that doesn't expose database structures directly but that
depends on the amount of work we can get done.

-Toshio