spin kickstart/minimization cleanups

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 18:12:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 14:37 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Unless we start applying this methodology to all the other groups, I
> > would not merge it for the gnome-desktop group.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> > The other comps patches look OK.
>
> Applied, thanks!

I hope you actually did some basic testing of live images and default
installs based on these changes before applying them? We're right in the
middle of the F13 Beta process and have a base of validation tests built
up which becomes somewhat less reliable if major changes to the default
package sets start being shoved in...

(remember the law of unintended consequences: even if it seems perfectly
obvious that a given package should be taken out, what if that package
happened to be the only thing causing some other package that we
actually want to be brought in as a dependency, for instance? default
package sets are a horribly complex space and I'm not that comfortable
with making disruptive changes to them when we're this close to the beta
release).

Oh, on the removal of system-config-network: I don't think this is a
good idea. NetworkManager is still not capable of configuring dial-up
network connections. Removing s-c-n makes it difficult or impossible to
configure a dial-up network connection, I believe.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey