spin kickstart/minimization cleanups

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 20:40:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> As you may or may not know I've been unhappy with how the Live image
> path has diverged from the automated install path (standalone anaconda
> + @gnome-desktop) for the desktop.
>
> Attached is a series of patches to both comps and spin-kickstarts
> which has a a high level goal of moving the two closer.
>
> Basically there are 3 fundamentally separate concepts which got intertwined:
>
> * Bits necessary for running a Live OS (turning off cron, etc)
> * Removing things we do want to fit into a CD
> * Removing "traditional Unix workstation" or other stuff that @base
> grew we don't want in @desktop regardless of space
>
> The comps patches come first, then the spin-kickstart patches.

Speaking of changes to comps for the desktop I think it would be
worthwhile breaking down the hardware support group into a couple of
groups. I was thinking something along the lines of Servers (for
iSCSI/FCoE/FCA etc), Desktop/Laptop (For wifi etc), Printing and
possibly "other". Things like printers for example with the new auto
printer support shouldn't need to be installed by default, you don't
want server stuff on a netbook and generally wouldn't need wifi
firmwares on a server.

Peter