No Build ID error when building new OpenVZ kernel in FEDORA8

xinglin xinglin at cs.utah.edu
Sat Mar 27 17:19:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:45:01 +0100, Björn Persson
<bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
> xinglin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am Xing, a PHD candidate in University of Utah. I am trying to
compile
>> and install an OpenVZ kernel in FEDORA8, but one error prevents me. The
>> error is "No build ID note found in /var/tmp/kernel***". I have tried
>> several ways to solve it but still failed. I introduced what I did to
>> solve
>> this problem and hope to get some help from you.
>
> Hello Xing! I know nothing about OpenVZ and only a little about
compiling
> Linux,

OpenVZ is based on Linux Kernel. So, when the disk is partitioned suitably
in the host OS, I think there is no big difference(Apply some patches and
make config) when compiling OpenVZ kernel and Linux Kernel.

> but I thought I'd point out that Fedora 8 was retired over a year
> ago.
> No bugs will get fixed in Fedora 8 anymore, so it's pretty much
off-topic
> on
> this list. I would suggest trying with Fedora 12 instead. I think you're
> more
> likely to get replies if you can reproduce the problem on a current
> version of
> Fedora.

The fact is Emulab does not have Fedora12 now. We just have Fedora8 and
Fedora10. :(
I will talk with the Emulab administrators about this.

>> ~/openvz/ovzkernel-2.6.18-128.2.1.el5.028stab064.7.src.rpm
>
> I see "el5" in there. Have you tried compiling it on RHEL 5 or CentOS 5?

Not yet. Actually, one of stuffs in our group succeeded to use rpmbuild to
build OpenVZ kernel in Fedora8. But unfortunately, he forgot how he solved
this. The reason I wanted to build a new openvz kernel based on his
image(Fedora8 with OpenVZ supported) is I do not need to repartition the
disk and install utilities. In OpenVZ user guide, it also uses Fedora core
4 as an example to show how to install the host OS. We do have Redhat 9.0
image in our testbed. I will try to compile on Redhat 9.0 or Fedora10 using
rpmbuild. But I think I will try to compile in the traditional way first.
Thanks very much.