Maximum length of userid on Fedora Linux

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 29 09:09:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 06:12:32PM +0100, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> I want to ask which is the maximum length of a userid on Fedora Linux.
>
> I think the maximum length of a userid should be 16 but I want to get
> a confiration about this assumetion.

Even old Red Hat Linux supported long account names (I assume you mean
the 'account' field, not the 'UID').  I tested RHL 6? 7? back in 2000
and it handled account names up to around 255 characters.  This was
for a project called OfficeMaster, a kind of web-based office suite.
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

The real issue, as I recall, was support for these long names in
various userspace utilities that might store or transmit account
names.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v