Upstream bugs vs. Fedora bugs: KDE people do it wrong

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 12:16:55 UTC 2010

2010/3/29 Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com>:
> On Monday 29 March 2010 14:03:51 Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't see any problem here if KDE SIG just declare "we don't fix KDE
>> > bugs, we just update packages".
>> >
>> > They are not KDE developers, so they don't know how to fix these bugs.
>>
>> This response regardless, as a downstream user of a package, if i
>> report a bug, it's nice to know if it's going to be fixed in a current
>> release or not. Until the upstream bugfix lands in a package
>> downstream, downstream should leave the bug open.
>
> Current Bugzilla policy says CLOSED as UPSTREAM is correct resolution. It's
> just terminology - I would prefer another one - like just UPSTREAM status, or
> ON_DEV UPSTREAM or something similar. CLOSED UPSTREAM does not mean that
> nobody cares! It's still tracked!

Sure, it's good to know that it's tracked. Maybe we should think about
modifying the policy to make this more transparent. Perhaps a 'ON HOLD
- UPSTREAM'.

>> The bug can be used
>> to track an update from bodhi too
>
> It's used to track in Bodhi.
>
>> and even suggest to the user that
>> he download a package out of testing to see that it is fixed. Without
>> the maintainers acting as the man in the middle, a potential bug
>> reporter not only has to open an account with the KDE bug tracker, but
>> then he might be asked to download source code, build it on his own,
>> and do a number of other hassles to help upstream out.
>> The maintainers
>> can assist this by helping with test builds and so on. It's their
>> responsibility, otherwise to track the issue upstream, regardless
>> whether they are active developers.
>>

> Usually we do this, we provide testing packages etc. But not only on Fedora
> side but both sides.

Ah cool. Still, it's something that is general to theoretically all
maintainers. I don't want to mandate this, because ultimately
maintainers are volunteers in the end.

-Yaakov