Upstream bugs vs. Fedora bugs: KDE people do it wrong

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Mar 29 12:19:22 UTC 2010

On Monday 29 March 2010 13:57:54 Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 13:35 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > The problem is - we can't act as man in middle - it's better when
> > original reporter is also upstream reporter = direct communication.
>
> Wait -- *any* Fedora developer could say this about any bug.  I just
> don't think it's true, and it assumes that the person reporting the bug
> knows as much about the intricacies of source code and programming as
> the developers do.

Of course but it also depends on how does the bug affects Fedora - for us -
Fedora KDE integration/packaging bugs are top priority. We know what to do, we
are responsible to fix it and we fix it. We can fix bugs we are upstream or we
care about that code because it's dead etc. That's OK. We fix security bugs (if
not fixed by upstream). But you can imagine we can's fix everything - we don't
have enough skills, time etc. KDE is not anymore small project and even
upstream have problem fixings bugs (and I think they still do quite well).

> If I were were to put the onus of finding the right upstream project and
> reporting bugs there onto people reporting printing problems, none of
> those bugs would get fixed at all.

For KDE apps it's just KDE Bugzilla or Qt Issue tracker.

> The user experiencing a bug *already* has to be pretty determined in
> order to get as far as filing a bug in Bugzilla.
>
> > If reporter
> > doesn't want to fill upstream bug - we do it (for example he doesn't want
> > to create upstream bz account).
>
> Seems to me this ought to be opt-in not opt-out -- we should be
> reporting the bugs upstream, and then the original reporter gets to add
> themselves to the upstream bug's CC field if they like.

It's another possibility - but if reported is able to describe bug, this
description would be much more accurate. If he is not - we try it (or at least
I try). It's just an agreement. We talk to reporter, we know lot of reporters
(it's usually quite small group of people).

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275