Upstream bugs vs. Fedora bugs: KDE people do it wrong

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 30 23:38:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 09:13 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 15:10 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>

> > But still bugs are fixed by program developers not Fedora developers.
>
> IMO 'Fedora developers' (really, what you mean here are packagers, I
> guess) should strive to become 'program developers' for the packages
> they maintain.
>
> Getting stuck in package maintenance should not be the end-goal of
> Fedora contributors...

I don't agree with this. Packaging is not developing; the two are really
rather different. I'm reasonably good at packaging, and terrible at
developing. Becoming a good developer isn't terribly high on my priority
list. I don't think that packaging is just a 'gateway' to development,
it's an important task in itself.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey