Upstream bugs vs. Fedora bugs: KDE people do it wrong

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 23:56:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> I don't think there's ever an absolute answer to this question.
> Sometimes it makes more sense for the original reporter to report
> upstream - in which case the maintainer should politely ask them to;
> sometimes it makes more sense for the maintainer to report upstream. It
> very much depends on the circumstances of the bug.

For me it comes down to one test. If I can reproduce it, I can be the
one to carry the torch to upstream and I can invite the original
reporter to come along for the ride.

If I can't reproduce it, I have to get upstream and someone who can
reproduce the problem talking somehow or  the report is just going to
bitrot. That means one of several things:

*getting the reporter to file upstream or have them submit a patch
that I can review and forward.
*getting another user who can reproduce to act on the behalf of the reporter
*drawing upstream attention to the Fedora ticket and having the
conversation there.

-jef