Upstream bugs vs. Fedora bugs: KDE people do it wrong

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 21:06:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:30:08 +0300 (EEST), Juha wrote:

> > Why would I want to clone a bz ticket if I did not want to fix the
> > bug in anything other than Rawhide?
>
> Because it's a database of release's bugs, not a todo list?

Is that an answer or a question?

Anyone who wants to search the database can do so and cover _closed_
tickets in addition to open ones. I don't see the need to keep tickets
open (or clone them) in cases where a status such as WONTFIX, RAWHIDE
or UPSTREAM is appropriate.

> I could be wrong of course, please correct me if I am. Considering
> that existing and remaining bugs are closed (when reported upstream)
> thou suggest that it actually is a todo list.
>
> I always thought that the bugzilla is for whole community, including
> the users. Not just for pkg maintainers.

Not every ticket immediately is a todo item (e.g. some only track defects
till something definite is found out), but those tickets that are answered
by the pkg maintainer with some action may get _closed_, with the pkg
maintainer having the final word about whether there will be an update.
Reporters (and potential contributors), who think they know better, are
free to propose a feasible solution.