Upstream bugs vs. Fedora bugs: KDE people do it wrong

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 31 23:16:13 UTC 2010

Juha Tuomala wrote:
> They've modified the bugzilla way too much and thus logged in users
> cannot for example change version or component which causes that
> there is way too much of entries that would need some kind of manual
> work and they lack the manpower to do that.
>[...]
> They do give these elevated rights for 'selected group of people'
> which is bit odd for opensource project, considering how integral
> part of bug reporting is in the community.

Fedora gives certain rights to "proven packagers" that are not given to
all packagers. Do you find this odd, also?

Otherwise, it is easy for anyone to create an ID and wreak havoc. Maybe
that is not a problem in practice, after all it seems to work for
Wikipedia. But I really don't think it is common to give nearly-full
rights to 99% of users, even among [FL]OSS projects.

Having said that, b.k.o probably ought to allow you to change your own
bugs even if you don't have permission to change other people's bugs,
but I don't know if b.k.o can support that.

p.s. In my experience, if you are known at all in KDE circles, you can
get ++bko_karma if you just ask for it.

--
Matthew
This .sig is false