[Test-Announce] Preupgrade Test Day - Thursday 2010-04-29

Liang Suilong liangsuilong at gmail.com
Sun May 2 19:54:01 UTC 2010

Sorry, I sent a blank mail to list.

When user starts to use preupgrade, it downloads installer files into /boot.
Then reboot the computer and begin the upgrade process.

The method will cause a problem, if /boot does not have enough spaces,
preupgrade can not finish the upgrade.

Preupgrade is a tool to download netinstall files to local disk and
configure the grub and calculate how many packages your system should be
upgraded. So why not put the installer file to / or another bigger
directory. I think that preupgrade can create a directory in root partition
and put installer into it. The installer should run after reconfigure the
grub.conf or grub.cfg for grub 2. I believe that that is better than files
locating in /boot for the reason that root filesystem usually has more
spaces.

Liang Suilong