Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Sir Gallantmon (ニール・ゴンパ) ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 01:11:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You will have noticed by now that my FESCo term is about to expire, that
> the
> nomination period for FESCo just closed and that my name does not show up
> on the
> list of candidates. No, this is not an accident or negligence, the decision
> not
> to run for another term was intentional, for several reasons:
>
> * When I ran for election a year ago, one of my reasons for running, and
> also
>  something I made part of my campaign, was that it shouldn't always be the
> same
>  people who are sitting on FESCo. We have a much higher number of active
>  contributors than FESCo seats, so it makes sense to see some turnover
>  happening. So it would be very hypocritical from me to attempt to sit
> another
>  year on FESCo myself, now that I'm myself a FESCo "veteran".
>
> * I have never been a committee person and have always hated sitting on
>  meetings. I have done it anyway for a year because I believed it to be
>  important for the good of the project. But I'm really fed up of those
> meetings
>  (I'm feeling burned out) and prefer focusing on more practical, less
> political
>  areas of Fedora. The fact that I don't feel my presence in those meetings
>  being of much if any use (more on that later) doesn't help either.
>
> * When looking back at what happened over the year I've been in office, I
> have a
>  feeling that I have been able to acheive basically nothing:
>  - The vast majority of votes were either unanimous or 8-1 against me. In
> both
>    cases, my vote was entirely redundant. Even for more contested votes, my
>    vote hardly ever mattered.
>  - Any attempts to discuss those issues where everyone was against me went
>    nowhere. In most cases, people rushed out a vote without even
> considering
>    the real issue at hand and then shot down any discussion with "we
> already
>    voted, we want to move on". In those few cases where there actually was
>    discussion, my position was always dismissed as being ridiculous and not
>    even worth considering, my arguments, no matter how strong, were
> entirely
>    ignored.
>  - Basically any proposal I filed was systematically shot down. Even things
>    which should be obvious such as:
>    . calling GNOME by its name rather than the generic "Desktop" or
>    . eliminating the useless bureaucratic red tape of FESCo ratification
> for
>      FPC guidelines which just wastes everyone's time and constitutes pure
>      process inefficiency
>    got only incomprehension.
>  I have come to the conclusion that it is just plain impossible for a
> [...]
That's too bad. I hadn't realized the political situation within Fedora had
gotten so bad, though. I always liked Fedora's policy of trusting its
people.... And it seems to be going away.

Though, there are some instances where the prevailing opinion should be
ignored, when there is no solid evidence to back it up, e.g. Mono and the
like.

Meh, sorry to see you felt so unsatisfied though.