Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon May 3 15:57:31 UTC 2010

I'm sorry you are unhappy.

I can only speak for myself here, but:

- I don't distrust our maintainers. I very much value the work they do
  and without them we would have no Fedora. However, I also want to
  help them do the right thing for our users (who I also would like to
  see happy). I'm open to ideas on how to reduce 'red tape' for them,
  while increasing the standard of packages for our users. I know you
  have many such ideas, but I don't agree that we should not have
  testing or help our maintainers find problems before our users get
  the package.

- I read this list every day, and am very mindful of feedback from
  developers. Any communication media is good, IMHO. My mailbox is also
  always open. I think many become discouraged with the mailing list
  these days because a few people reply to EVERY SINGLE POST with no
  new thoughts or information. Make a reasoned argument, wait and reply
  (at a high level) to feedback. Posting a reply to every post
  repeating yourself just makes less people able or interested in
  following the discussion.

- I would like to hope that we can look beyond ourselves. We
shouldn't be looking at "My packages" or "My Desktop". We should all be
working for a Fedora that we can be proud of our users using. We should
be consistent about how much testing we do and when we update things so
ALL our users will know whats going on.

Can we Improve things? I absolutely think so, but change takes time,
well reasoned argument, and people willing to do the work to make it
happen.

kevin