Res: Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon May 3 16:51:00 UTC 2010

Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 14:01 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> [1] And I appreciate that I made a mistake with hal-storage in this
>> cycle that caused inconvenience for people maintaining other spins, so
>> I'm not going to claim any kind of perfection in this area
>
> Which just adds reason to why we are doing necessary karma and automated
> testing, because humans make mistakes, no matter how much fun or not fun
> they are having.

Except karma requirements (which were in force due to the critical path
process) did NOT prevent this particular regression, nor would a "1 week
minimum in testing" requirement have prevented it (the update spent 8 days
in testing). That process DOES NOT WORK. It just adds extra bureaucracy and
delays the fix for the regression. (But thankfully, direct stable pushes are
still possible for KDE packages, which allowed us to do one to fix this
regression quickly.)

        Kevin Kofler