popularity package context on fedora

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 3 19:10:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 19:20 +0100, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:

> > It's been suggested many times before, but no one has really stepped
> > forward to champion it. ;)
> >
> > There is an rpm version being worked on by an OpenSUSE person:
> >
> > http://gitorious.org/opensuse/popcorn
> >
> > Something would need to be packaged, tested, etc.
> >
> > Then the problem becomes what data to store, how to store it.
> > It's going to be a vast amount of data, and we would need some server
> > to store it, policies around when to drop entries, etc.
> >
> > Not that I think it's a bad idea, It just needs a group of determined
> > people to work on and make it happen. ;)
> >

> i have looked at the source code (C server side / Python client side), it uses
>  libtdb [1] as storage back-end (a plain text format)

 TDB is not "plain text" it's a key/value store, like BDB/etc.

>  , i think that
> sqlite is better, and you can port it to other DBMS such as Postgres
> or MySQL
>
> [1] http://tdb.samba.org

 My guess is that sqlite would be nicer though, as I'd imagine you
wouldn't want to store just key/values.

> But how it can be integrated in Fedora, by writing yum plug-in ?

 I can't think why you'd want a plugin, but you'd probably need to use
the yum API ... at least so you could get data out of yumdb. The
"client" side should be truly trivial though. Dumping the installed
packages, which repos. they came from and the reason for their
install ... is probably like 10 lines of yum code.
 If someone is doing this work, they'd probably do a bit more to get
more info. ... but again, it would be trivial in comparison to the work
needed on the server side (and to get people to install it etc.)

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumMultipleMachineCaching