Unable to get wlan0 to fire

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon May 3 20:32:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 20:31 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure on which package I need to bugzilla this under. I have a
> feeling it should be NetworkManager, but I'd like to check as it may be
> down to a PolicyKit failure (or even dbus).

It could well be NM.  Can you grab your /var/log/messages and attach it
to a bug that you file for the issue?

> My laptop is not firing up the wireless network. When I try and bring it
> up from the command line I'm getting
>
> Error org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.InvalidConnection: ifcfg
> file '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0' unknown

Right, that's the ifup scripts saying that for whatever reason, NM's
system settings plugin that handles ifcfg files (ifcfg-rh) has some
error parsing that file.  The contents of /var/log/messages should show
us what that problem is.

> I've checked and the above file exists.

Coudl you paste the contents into the bug report too?

> Googling hasn't showed much in what is the cause other than suggesting
> both PolicyKit and NM being screwy.

It's probably not PK, likely an issue in ifcfg parsing or some other
problem.

Dan