Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon May 3 23:56:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 00:01:24 +0200,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Why are you telling all this stuff to me? I'm ALREADY complaining about our
> processes being undemocratic. The points you make are very real. But I don't
> agree with you that the solution has to be some formal framework. If our
> representatives actually, well, REPRESENTED their electorate, things would
> work much better. Now of course none of the representatives knows who voted
> for them because the vote is anonymous, but as you explained, there are
> reasons to represent even those who did not vote for oneself, or at all,
> anyway.

I disagree, that that is the correct way to run a democratic republic.
That is how most politicans work in the USA. They are more interested in
getting elected than leading. They run polls continuously during election
cycles so that they know what to tell voters.

As a voter this sucks. You have no idea what such a person is going to
do after getting elected, as they follow the whim of the polls.

I'd much rather have a set of candidates say up front where they want to
lead people and then decide which one gets to lead based on a vote. There
are a few politicians who work this way in the USA, but not many.

That's not to say a politician can't change their opinion based on new
information, but cases where they do should be rare.

I think people running for leadership positions for Fedora should actually
lead and not just go along with the poll of the day.