Res: Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue May 4 03:01:35 UTC 2010

On 05/03/2010 11:12 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 18:51 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>> Except karma requirements (which were in force due to the critical path
>> process) did NOT prevent this particular regression, nor would a "1 week
>> minimum in testing" requirement have prevented it (the update spent 8 days
>> in testing). That process DOES NOT WORK. It just adds extra bureaucracy and
>> delays the fix for the regression. (But thankfully, direct stable pushes are
>> still possible for KDE packages, which allowed us to do one to fix this
>> regression quickly.)
>>

> You are definitely missing the forest for the trees here.
So do you: The karma stuff will never work and if then only in corner-cases.

In probably the overwhelming majority of cases, all karma does is adding
to Fedora's bureaucracy, without being actually functional.

>  In the
> proposals I've seen, the was no mandate that an update spend a week in
> testing, provided it got enough karma before that.  If the issue at hand
> is so egregious to need a push ASAP, then there should be plenty of
> people on hand to snag the update from koji and provide you the
> necessary karma nearly immediately.

You are presuming a bug
* affects many people
* is reproducable by many people
* has "user visible" impacts
* users are volunteering to provide feedback

These presumptions are all wrong and do not apply.