popularity package context on fedora

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 4 06:38:32 UTC 2010

2010/5/3 Björn Persson <bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se>:
> Thomas Janssen wrote:
>> Good question about on or off by default. To make sense it should be
>> on by default.
>
> NO! Popcon may have its uses, and I actually have it enabled on my Debian
> boxes, but it *must* be strictly opt-in. If it were on by default it would be
> spyware, and I do *not* want an operating system with spyware in it.

Well, i wouldn't call a software that counts serverside downloads of
FOSS software and gives based on that downloads/installations, a
popularity suggestion in packagekit, spyware.
There's nothing at all that gets sent out of your box.

Remind, i'm not speaking of exactly popcon. I spoke about something in
the server, just counting the download/installation (not even unique
installations via some hash or whatever) and a packagekit extension
that shows the count or something like stars or whatever.

So, it has to be on by default.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium