Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 4 12:56:56 UTC 2010

Am Montag, den 03.05.2010, 22:37 -0400 schrieb Orcan Ogetbil:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Once upon a time, Orcan Ogetbil said:
> >> The statistic talks. It doesn't only talk. It yells. Ignoring this
> >> test statistic in favor of the large pool of imaginary users, who
> >> supposedly think in the complete other direction, is not only
> >> non-scientific, stupid., but also self-conflicting.
> >
> > You claim you have taken grad-level statistics, but you don't appear to
> > understand how to select a sample.  A self-selected sample on a web
> > forum (with no basis to show that forum members are representative of
> > the Fedora user base, much less that poll responders represent even the
> > forum users) does not lead to valid statistical results.  It doesn't
> > matter how big the sample size is if the samples are not properly
> > selected.
> >

> No, I exactly know how to select a sample. The forum based sample is
> "the" perfect sample. It is the users who talk. It is not the
> imaginary users, who you claim to exist. I do not care about your
> imaginary users. I do care about those who talk. Hence the statistic
> is significant.

You assume here 'imaginary users' don't need to be heard or in your
words 'are stupid' and nobody should care about them.

There are also users out there, that don't like such huge threads with
all the *_repetitive arguments_* and fight wars. Spamming a mailinglist
doesn't change my mind, only ignoring a whole thread - independent from
the subject.

	-Thomas