popularity package context on fedora

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 4 17:13:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Ricky Zhou (ricky at fedoraproject.org) said:
>> > Of course, this does not say 'how many computers out there have package
>> > X'. Maybe it fails and one needs to download a package twice and so on.
>> > But I think this would be a first great approximation.
>>
>> I don't think yum requests packages specifically from mirrormanager.  It
>> gets a mirror URL from mirrormanager, then downloads everything else
>> directly from the mirror that it gets back.
>
> Ricky's analysis is correct. Mirrormanager logs only tell us what
> version/arch someone is looking for, not what packages.

Ok, thank you. There goes the theory. I doubt we can have proper logs
from any mirror. Maybe it's possible to have it collect that data on
our own mirror(s) and have at least little info.
Or have it opt-in, phone home and hope many users be part of it.

Maybe it's not worth all the effort, dunno.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium