Res: Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 4 18:16:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> If the breakage was more of a functional break and not a dep break,
> that's where automated testing comes in, and we grow the automated
> functional testing of updates so that if an update comes along we can
> detect the breakage and alert both parties.

Yes in this case it was functional breakage.

> The solution to "shit went out and broke my stuff" isn't to make it
> easier to put shit out, it's to make it harder to put /broken/ shit out
> in the first place.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm saying that to really to take
advantage of the policy as a maintainer and derive the most benefit
from the requirement that things sit in testing awaiting karma..I need
some help getting a heads up when things I need to be aware of hit the
testing repository so I can do my part and get ahead of potential
functional breakage...and even write test cases for it.

-jef