Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue May 4 18:30:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Thomas Spura wrote:
> Am Montag, den 03.05.2010, 22:37 -0400 schrieb Orcan Ogetbil:
>> >
>> > You claim you have taken grad-level statistics, but you don't appear to
>> > understand how to select a sample.  A self-selected sample on a web
>> > forum (with no basis to show that forum members are representative of
>> > the Fedora user base, much less that poll responders represent even the
>> > forum users) does not lead to valid statistical results.  It doesn't
>> > matter how big the sample size is if the samples are not properly
>> > selected.
>> >

>> No, I exactly know how to select a sample. The forum based sample is
>> "the" perfect sample. It is the users who talk. It is not the
>> imaginary users, who you claim to exist. I do not care about your
>> imaginary users. I do care about those who talk. Hence the statistic
>> is significant.
>
> You assume here 'imaginary users' don't need to be heard or in your
> words 'are stupid' and nobody should care about them.

You missed the point completely. Please re-read. Let me elaborate.

The biggest problem with FESCo members is, whenever an issue is
brought up to them and the issue does not affect some of the FESCo
members, they openly say "I don't care, so +1", or "It doesn't matter,
-1". You can see this a lot in the calling the Gnome spin "the Gnome
spin" thread.

If an issue is brought up to FESCo, that means that there is an issue.
FESCo members are not in a position to not care about issues. Kevin
Kofler, although he was good in most occasions, fell into the same
hole during the "changing updates policy thread" by saying that he
thinks that the policy should stay the same. No, it shouldn't stay the
same. It bothers some people. Maybe he spent so much time in FESCo
that he got accustomed to the ways.

What is stupid is not what minority wants. What is stupid is to
imagine that there is a huge pool of users who don't voice their
opinion in any platform but supposedly they think in the same
direction with FESCo.

No, the people who want a conservative updates policy is the minority (period)

This doesn't mean that they should be completely disregarded. If there
is an issue even with minority, FESCo should look for ways to solve
it.

I hope I made it clear this time.

Orcan