Res: Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 4 18:36:28 UTC 2010

Jesse Keating wrote:
> If/when karma is required for an update to go out, or a timeout in
> -testing, we will see an uptick in karma.

You keep claiming that. You have no evidence whatsoever for that, and it
doesn't seem plausible to me at all. Users only care about having the issue
fixed for themselves, if they bother fetching the package from testing or
Koji at all, the problem will be solved for them, so why would they care
about whether the fixed package will go to stable?

> We've seen that in branched, we will likely see it in released Fedora's
> too.

The userbase of branched is very different from the one of stable releases.
People who use branched tend to be voluntary testers who know that they're
using an unfinished released and expected to provide testing. On the other
hand, the average user of a release is NOT a tester and will NOT sign up to
test things for the benefit of other users.

So I don't see the results for branched as evidence for your claim at all.

In addition, the new update policy wants to require karma (or a 1 week
timeout) even for non-critical packages. We have NO evidence regarding those
from branched as the karma requirements were only for critical path
packages.

And finally, even if you're right, you still have no evidence that the karma
was given out based on actual testing and not merely on a plea of "please +1
my package".

> The point of the updates policy is to change reality

LOL!!! Good luck!

> The reality is that updates are going out untested to stable releases and
> causing real problems to real users.

And your evidence is?

The "evidence" given in FESCo meetings was just two isolated incidents, the
first of which was a security (!) update and clearly a one-time issue, the
second in a package (bind) which is not installed by default and which the
vast majority of Fedora users don't have installed at all. Those are just 2
(!) incidents over YEARS of Fedora's history. So I don't see this as a
problem needing to be solved at all.

        Kevin Kofler