"I have no name", etc. after hibernate

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed May 5 04:12:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, 4 May 2010, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> Run "strace id" and see if it is able to open and read
>> /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/passwd.  If so, it would be a glibc bug.  If
>> not, investigate why those files cannot be read.
>
> You mention LDAP auth. Do you have users on the system handled by LDAP?
> If so, make sure that in /etc/nsswitch.conf on the passwd line that
> "files" comes before "ldap" (or SSSD, if you're using that).
>
> If something other than "files" is listed first, it could be returning
> an error that's preventing it from trying /etc/passwd.
>
> If "files" is listed first, then Matt is right, and it's either a
> permissions problem on /etc/passwd or /etc/nsswitch.conf, or a bug in glibc.
>
> The fact that it only happens after hibernate is what leads me to think
> it might be related to ldap lookups. (Where the LDAP connection would
> have dropped during the hybernation)

I haven't been able to see this problem again, but in nsswitch.conf
passwd, shadow and group are all just "files". There's no ldap
anywhere.  netgroup and publickey are by default 'nisplus' and a bit
similar for bootparams. automount/aliases 'files nisplus'. So I doubt
LDAP is the cause.

After a lot of hibernate/resume attempts I have sometimes seen weird
stuff (like every command segfaulting) but I hope it's irrelevant for
this specific case.