use MALLOC_PERTURB_ ... or lose

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 5 18:05:30 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 05.05.2010, 13:54 -0400 schrieb Frank Ch. Eigler:
> Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > [...]
> >> Stating something like this clearly on login & install would be nice,
> >> not just for this MALLOC_PERTURB_ change but in general.
> >
> > Doesn't this whole discussion about debugging versus performance also
> > apply to F13 pre-release testing as well.. and not just rawhide?  [...]
>
> Good point.  Clearly though one can't delay the setting of the final
> release behaviors too long, or else *those* won't get tested.

I don't think turning all debugging on by default is a good idea...

The kernel is special, but not everywhere else...

It would be far better to use David's suggestion from [1], if that
works. If someone (like \me) does not want to slow down the computer, he
can simply not use the debugging package. If I ran into problems,
turning on the debugging and slowing down is an option.

I use the α's of Fedora already daily without any other older Fedora
version around me, so if debugging would be on by default, this would
force me to not help testing newer versions in favor of not getting
slowed down...

	Thomas

[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-May/135681.html