Please move your ABRT bugs upstream

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Wed May 5 22:12:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> I understand. But please respect what others are thinking. I do see a
>> problem in abrt that it wastes my time.
>
> It's not possible for you to simply ignore the abrt bugs?  I filter
> the [abrt] ticket email into a separate folder for example so that I
> can keep track of those bugs separately.

I almost did that :)

However, I changed my mind at the last moment, since if I go that way
I  will start ignoring those bugs altogether. Then it will be the time
of the users that is wasted.

A solution is, if I disable abrt for package X, when X crashes the
user will be prompted with a message that he should send this to
upstream. The message should contain the upstream URL, the backtrace,
and tries to convince the user that to provide the steps to reproduce
is essential.

An anonymous database is easy to ignore by packagers. I fear that that
might turn to something as useless as pulseaudio.

Orcan