Reasons for hall monitoring

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Fri May 7 14:56:25 UTC 2010

On 05/07/2010 08:48 AM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
>  Although I don't agree with many of them in a
> lot of places, I strongly support Kevin's, Ralf's and others position
> that the current development is very harmful to the development of
> Fedora and I would love them to stay and defend this still nice project
> we all work on.

Here's the rub, though: Kevin argues for aggressive development and
empowering the package maintainers to push out changes, even if it
resulted in temporary regressions. Ralf, on the other hand, reminds us
about the need for quality control, process and stability. They can't
both be right---but the entire project is better off for them voicing
their opinions.

There's a lot of research in social psychology suggesting that large
groups engaged in transparent and open discussion make better decisions,
statistically speaking, so a broad discussion exploring the entire
spectrum of opinions is exactly what we need.

We just can't let it become personal and acrimonious. This is an
obligation for everyone to take the 'extreme' voices at face value:
assume good faith, which, by the way, is a great life principle in most
circumstances. It is also an obligation on those who take an unpopular
if your argument doesn't take the day.