Reasons for hall monitoring

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sun May 9 20:27:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, 9 May 2010, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 14:07 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 20:34:57 +0300,
> >   Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thus far, it seemed that the both the user and the developer communities
> > > were left out of these proceedings, and everything was more-or-less
> > > decided by FESCO, which left (large?) parts of the developer community
> > > feeling left out.
> >
> > The board has been trying to answer questions related to this (who is Fedora
> > for). And I think they recently completed that task. I think the next thing
> > up would be to look at how well we are or aren't serving the people who
> > Fedora is supposed to be for.
> >
> > A good starting point for this work is at:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unfinished_Board_issues
> >
> > There is a board election coming up and it is a good time to ask prospective
> > board members questions related to the future of Fedora.
>
> I believe you missed my point.
> I don't claim that the board ignored this issue. Far from it.
> I am claiming that having the board make this decision without the
> involving of the community is slowly (?) driving both developers and
> users away.

Since we had no focus before, everyone who had any interest in anything
joined Fedora.  Now that they're here they have conflicting views on what
Fedora should be.  If you think we should vote, go join debian.  I think
they do that there.  In the meantime our community is suffering far more
infighting then before because everyone thinks their version is the right
version.  As we narrow our focus, people are going to find they fall
outside of that focus.

Bottom line is we should have done what we're doing now long ago, so we're
suffering the consequences as a result.  Lots of people with conflicting
views are now here.  Our lack of focus has just hurt us.

Have you used OSX lately?  They're playing in a whole different league and
a whole different game then we are.  It's not even a comparison.  Not only
do we copy OSX but we do so poorly.  For those that have problem with
apple or want a "more free" OS, Ubuntu's got the share.  We're just not
there.  Fedora's board isn't driving users and developers away, our OS is.

The worst part is we won't get those users back with a marginally better
product.

	-Mike