Reasons for hall monitoring

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun May 9 20:40:57 UTC 2010

[Well, sorry for posting again to this subthread, but this particular post
has nothing whatsoever to do with hall monitoring. (Time for another new
subthread?)]

Thomas Janssen wrote:
> And we're gladly acting like it, e.g. x-server not compatible with HW
> vendor drivers at release time (believe it or not, but users were angry
> about it).

We do this because this allows providing the newest Free drivers, the ones
which we can ship out of the box, which we are comfortable with our users
using, which are the way to go in the long run, which we can fix if there
are bugs and which just generally tend to work better.

We were the first mainstream distribution providing Free 3D support for ATI
Radeon HD cards of the r6xx and r7xx chipset series (see Fedora 12). We are
now (with Fedora 13) about to be the first mainstream distribution providing
Free 3D support for NVidia hardware.

I really don't want this to stop, nor to lose all the other benefits of the
current X.Org X11 release, just to be compatible with crappy proprietary
drivers which can't keep up with technology. Instead, we need to make those
drivers obsolete, which we're already well on the way to.

Just say NO to proprietary drivers!

We do not and should never support proprietary drivers. Please NEVER
withhold a new version of X.Org X11 just because proprietary drivers don't
support it!

        Kevin Kofler